Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Tecfidera Update

This is an update on my earlier post about starting Tecfidera.  I have now been on Tecfidera for about 2 months.  After starting the full dosage, I started having the flushing reaction everyday, a few hours after taking the pill.  I also got REALLY itchy, ALL OVER.  It was driving me crazy, and I was making myself bleed from scratching so much.  So my mom (a pharmacist) recommended taking Benadryl, as she had a Chemo drug that made her itchy and her doctors recommended it to her for that.  So I called my doctor and started taking Benadryl each time I take it, in hopes that it would lessen the itching.  The itchiness and flushing has lessened a lot.  I am not sure if this is because of the Benadryl or the symptoms just lessening over time like the disclosure says they may.  I still occasionally get the flushing, as you can see today.


For me, I feel like these symptoms are definitely better than injecting myself every other night.  Although, when the itchiness was driving me crazy, there may have been a few times I may have said differently...  We'll see how things go, but right now I am so grateful for modern medicine!

1 comment:

  1. It's good to hear that your symptoms seem to be lessening over time! Also, make sure you are consulting with doctors before you mix medicines ok? Im sure you are but wanted to double check since i love ya! Also- LOVE your curls! Wish mine would curl like that instead of POOF!

    ReplyDelete