Tuesday, August 13, 2013

College Roommates

Yesterday I got to talk to my old college roommate, Cherie!  We hadn't seen or talked to each other in almost 2 years, but we were gabbing away like we had never been apart.  I love having friends like that.  And I have many of them.

The most recent picture of all of us together
My college roommates are some of them.  These girls were my family for the 3 years of college before I got married.  We really were like a family because we all went out and did our own thing during the day, but came back together in the evenings and supported each other.  We are all so different: I studied education, Emily studied communication, Cherie studied dietetics, and Elise studied recreation management.  But boy, these girls helped mold who I am today.

Good times living in the freshman dorms at BYU
 I had only been diagnosed with MS for a year when I met them.  I was still learning about MS and coming to grips with having a chronic illness.  They helped me realize that MS wasn't what defined me, it was just a piece of me.  They helped me see that I could still do everything I wanted to do in life.  They were my support group, and I realize now how important it is to have a system of people who have your back in times of need. 

Cherie immediately started researching MS and even got me an MS diet book.  I could talk to her about anything.  While we were talking on the phone yesterday, she told me that she likes my blog and especially how positive I am.  And the thought that immediately came to my mind was, "Because of you."  Cherie, Elise, and Emily have always been so optimistic and positive and they were a great influence on me.  I am so blessed that I happened to be their roommate.  My life would be very different, I am sure, if I hadn't been.

The people we surround ourselves with have a HUGE impact on our life.  They help shape our character, our words, our actions.  We cannot completely control our situation in life.  We cannot choose our family, the financial situation we are born into, or our genetic makeup.  But we can choose the people we associate with, the people we decide to emulate, and the person we become.  I wanted to be like these amazing women, and in trying to do so, I have become a better person. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment