Saturday, January 3, 2015

Breastfeeding and Meds

This week is going to be a very difficult time for me emotionally.  Tomorrow I have to get back on my MS meds.  Tecfidera cannot be taken while pregnant, so I got off of it when I got pregnant with my sweet #3.  Then she was born and I wanted to breastfeed for 3 months while I pumped enough breast milk to get her 6 months of being fed exclusively breast milk.  But we moved and I had to find a new neurologist, so I could not get a new prescription for Tecfidera until now.  Baby E is 5 months old now.  The longer I stay off my meds the more likely I will be to have a relapse.  I remember the relapse I had after #2 was born... it was awful.  I couldn't feel my legs and I couldn't see very well.  So I couldn't drive and it was difficult to complete my responsibilities as a mom of two, much less 3.
I definitely don't want that to happen again. 
But I absolutely treasure nursing.  I don't want to lose that bond.  I feel like I am being selfish to take away breast milk from my baby, but at the same time I know that she needs a strong healthy momma for the next 40 years, and I need to be on my meds for her to have that.  So I will cry as I hold the bottle to her lips and tell her I love her and that is why I can no longer give her my breast.
  

6 comments:

  1. I just found your blog today. I am 40 years old, a member of the LDS Church and was diagnosed with MS in Nov 2014. Thank you for sharing your experience here! Best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to know how it went for you when you stopped breast feeding and went back on your meds. I'm a Mormon mama with MS too and my four month old is still breast feeding. I'm wondering what to expect. I hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got back on my meds and I haven't had a relapse yet! And Baby E is now 15 months old! I had a relapse after my first two babies when they were both about 7 months, but none with #3. So things are looking good. I hope everything goes smoothly for you too. Thanks for your comment, it's comforting to know I'm not the only one out there going through these things, although I wish none of us had to :)

      Delete
  3. I am currently going through the same thing diagnosed 3 weeks ago with rrms diagnosed with cis at 36 weeks pregnant little boy is now 12 weeks old and i have to start meds soon it is heartbreaking knowing i wont be able to feed him n e more x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What medication will you be taking? On Copaxone you should still be able to breastfeed, Tecfidera you will have to time more carefully.

      Delete
  4. Since I didn't had enough milk to start, I did breastfeeding and bottle.
    My baby will be 5 months old Friday and I stopped yesterday.
    This was so difficult and I'm still crying over it but i know it's for the best.
    MS suck...

    ReplyDelete